When it comes to citrus fruits, oranges are always a popular choice. They are juicy, full of flavor, and packed with lots of nutrients. However, have you ever tried a Cara Cara orange? If not, you’re missing out on a delicious twist on citrus that is sure to please your taste buds.
What Are Cara Cara Oranges?
Cara Cara oranges are a type of navel orange that originated in Venezuela. They were first discovered in the late 1970s, and since then, they have become increasingly popular around the world. The unique thing about Cara Cara oranges is their pinkish-red flesh, which sets them apart from other types of oranges. The flesh is also sweeter and less acidic than other oranges, making them a perfect choice for those who prefer a milder citrus flavor.
Nutritional Benefits of Cara Cara Oranges
Like other types of oranges, Cara Cara oranges are packed with lots of nutrients that are good for your health. They are an excellent source of vitamin C, which is important for a healthy immune system. They also contain fiber, which is essential for good digestion, and potassium, which can help lower your blood pressure. Additionally, they are low in calories and high in water content, making them a great choice for those who are watching their weight.
How to Use Cara Cara Oranges in Your Cooking
Cara Cara oranges are very versatile and can be used in many different ways in your cooking. Here are just a few ideas:
- Juicing: Because they are sweeter than other oranges, Cara Cara oranges make a delicious and refreshing juice. Simply cut them in half and squeeze the juice out, or use a juicer if you have one.
- Salads: The pinkish-red flesh of Cara Cara oranges looks beautiful in a salad, and the sweet flavor pairs well with many different types of greens. Add some sliced almonds and a light vinaigrette for a delicious and healthy meal.
- Desserts: Use Cara Cara oranges in your favorite dessert recipes to give them a unique twist. They work especially well in cakes, muffins, and tarts.
- Snacks: Peel and eat Cara Cara oranges as a healthy and refreshing snack.
Where to Buy Cara Cara Oranges
Cara Cara oranges are becoming more widely available, but they may not be as easy to find as other types of oranges. Look for them in the produce section of your local grocery store or at a farmers’ market. They are typically in season from December through May, so try to buy them during that time for best results.
How to Store Cara Cara Oranges
Like other types of oranges, Cara Cara oranges can be stored at room temperature for up to a week. If you want them to last longer, store them in the refrigerator. They will keep for up to two weeks in the fridge.
Fun Facts About Cara Cara Oranges
- Cara Cara oranges are sometimes called “red navel oranges” because of their pinkish-red flesh.
- They were first discovered at the Hacienda Cara Cara in Venezuela, which is where they got their name.
- Cara Cara oranges are a hybrid of two types of navel oranges.
If you’re looking for a delicious twist on citrus, Cara Cara oranges are definitely worth trying. They are sweet, juicy, and packed with lots of nutrients that are good for your health. Use them in your cooking, enjoy them as a snack, or simply juice them for a refreshing drink. Whatever you do, you won’t be disappointed!
- Are Cara Cara oranges genetically modified?
No, Cara Cara oranges are not genetically modified. They are a natural hybrid of two types of navel oranges.
- Do Cara Cara oranges have any seeds?
Like most navel oranges, Cara Cara oranges are seedless.
- How many calories are in a Cara Cara orange?
One medium-sized Cara Cara orange has approximately 70 calories.
- Can you freeze Cara Cara oranges?
Yes, you can freeze Cara Cara oranges. Simply peel and segment them, then place them in a freezer-safe bag or container. They will keep for up to six months in the freezer.
- Where can I find Cara Cara orange recipes?
There are many websites and cookbooks that feature recipes using Cara Cara oranges. Try searching online or checking out a cookbook from your local library.